Somavati Amavasya is one of the most important and auspicious days that occur every year. This is not a recurring event and hence, should be given adequate importance in terms the benefits derived from the worship and charity done of this day.
When the day of Amavasya (dark moon lunar phase ) falls on a Monday , it is known as Somavati Amavasya (Soma is a synonymous word for Moon). Moon has a very special importance in Astrology as it governs our mind. Thoughts originate in the mind and thoughts get converted into action so Moon should be inherently powerful to deliver positive and optimistic thoughts. People with weak Moon are indecisive and pessimistic in nature and their mind does not rest on a single subject so they turn fickle minded and try to accomplish multiple tasks unreasonably.
The worship and charity undertaken on the day of Somavati Amavasya is known to remove the afflictions related to Moon and deliver inherent strength so its wise to perform one’ little part during this day.
The following activities should be performed to gain favorable results during Somvati Amavasya -
• Worship Lord Shiva by offering milk, holy water and chandan. Performing a Rudrabhishek on Shivalingam is very favorable. Chanting Om Namah Shivaya is considered very auspicious.
• Taking a dip in holy rivers like Ganga ji, Narmada ji etc is also very favorable.
• Worshipping Tulsi and performing 108 parikramas is also considered very auspicious
• Offering water to Surya (Sun) in the morning and reciting “Surya Ashtak” is also very favorable
• Donate items like sugar, rice, milk, ghee, curd etc to needy people attracts divine grace and removed problems and afflictions caused by the planets.
• Feeding Brahmins is also considered to have satisfied one’ Pitra on this day. Pray to Shri Vishnu and chant Om Namo Bhagwate Vasudevaya Namah as this day is meant for the worship of Shri Narayana.